Thursday, May 2, 2013

Exceptionalism

I am completely used to being the patient that doesn't fulfill poor expectations. I like being the guy with too much energy after surgery or who can suck down the semi-poisonous pills with aplomb.

Yet, today, I must admit I may have encountered defeat: Cisplatin. Yes, yesterday's application of chemo might be the reason that today I can't breathe and can't eat...I may be one of the few who instantly react, and badly, to this particular chemo regimen. Normally, they claim this happens a week or two out. Well, not always.

i spend last night sitting upward, trying to clear my throat, feeling my stomach flop and having the hiccups about 20 times. Suctioning, placing humidity on my trach tube, very relaxing evening.

What will happen next? At this point, I don't know. It's a bit earlier and I'm making the rounds (as I can) of telling my doctors that something is not working. Medicine is not exact, though often enough reproducible, to invoke scientific method.

There are outliers, though, and those who react in ways that were clearly not foreseen when the treatment started. Today, I'm that guy. And I guess I'll need to find out later how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment