Monday, October 27, 2014

Be Who You Arent

This Halloween I am donning a costume for the first time in years. I won't preview my choice, but this year chemo and Halloween fall on the same day, and my decision to play dress up is to give my nurses a moment of delight. I love those women. They care for me, fuss over me, celebrate with me, commiserate and soothe.

In my old life, I was too busy trying to be hot and way too over it to dress up for Halloween, and I wouldn't have taken time to notice so acutely that a silly costume might make someone smile. I would have rationalized a different method to achieving something pleasant. It may never have worked so well.

Tonight I'm in agony because Charles is eating one of my favorite trashy dinners, Zatarain's Dirty Rice mix and canned corn, which he's backing up with a baguette. Virtually nothing he has eaten in the past year has bothered me so, made me want so badly or curse my dumb fate harder. I'm not sure I can tell you what kind of crack they sprinkle in that box dinner mix, but it's powerful. I have ignored roast chicken, lasagna, exquisite green salads, meat loaf, steak--this is what kills me.

Despite this bit of throwback envy, I find more and more often that my moorings to my old life are pulling loose and when the pieces fall into the water, they aren't much missed. I don't mean I hate the man I was, far from it. I lived in the way many do, not particularly deeply, not always to the surface but not nearly as perceptively as possible. I more often than not was in the tube river, floating--and who amongst us isn't?

The surprise to me has been how utterly ordinary my life was, when of course it seemed to be such an involving drama to me. What seemed to be great forces bringing change turned out to be typical events; romance of the epic sort was normal in its erectile potential.

This newer life, some think, is a much more heroic venture. One that requires a level of gutsiness to achieve basic results and that's true to a degree. But I operate like an old guy, not a hero with a limp-- I plan my travels and I plan my movements like an astute bingo player. I move with deliberation, trying to scan my horizons for dangers to avoid. Loose dogs, uneven pavements, drunk kids, none of which I could yell at or reason with to save myself. I think a lot in this newer life, and that thinking is a priori disaster management.

Not terribly heroic, is it? At least not in those comic book superhero terms; this is far more pedestrian stuff. The heroism in my life is saved for upper level events. When surgeons tell me people like me live typically two years. When consulting doctors look at me and tell me I have months to live. When they tell me cancer is in my lungs. What I think is heroism is pushing back, saying no, disagreeing when bullshit is spoon fed to me like applesauce. It is a simple matter of preservation: heroism is the act if recognizing you are worth saving.

Nothing revolutionary there, aside from the fact that it can be incredibly difficult to assert that simple little fact. To commit to that idea everyday while utterly necessary to surviving cancer is beyond the scope of usual power to utilize. You wake up, you pick this idea with its prickly skin out of its resting box and you pound it into your brain until there's no way to forget it. The heroism is in the doing. Against all of our modesty conditioning to scream to the ether: "I am, and I plan to continue to be."

I'll be thinking of this on Friday, which promises to be coldish, perfect for the holiday, the time of year. Already the leaves are piled by the road, some trees are bare, orange everywhere, backed by every shade of maple red. I love this time of year. I love being here for it. I'm willing to wear a silly costume for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment