Tuesday, March 5, 2013

We are the champions

I've never spent a more full 18 hours than those I spent in surgery--nor have I been so unaware.

I woke to a smiling face, a few times coming to the surface, I thought I was dreaming, and that I remember. The dream part because there was no pain, no lump in my throat, I wasn't struggling against anything.

I was in a room with a smiling woman. She spoke to me in soft, suede tones. Finally I realized she was asking me how I felt. I wanted to tell her.

Right now, there's no telling anyone anything. Tongueless, there's going to be no saying of anything for some time--but I still have a voice box! Someday, I will speak again. It won't be in Elizabeth's tones, unfortunately, but the possibility is enough to satisfy me.

At the moment, I'm sitting in a chair, and I'm happy. Happy because of the chair, and where I am, and how everything has gone. I'm happy that I did well, and the doctors did better. Happy because the nurses are so good to me, but refuse to bring me coffee. I'm looking across the room at Charles and Scott and happy to see them happy.

Yes, this is day one of a very new adventure, and day one of a lot of work, but I'm starting day one out by doing more that I thought I would in a manner better than I was so certain I could.

The person I want to be is this person here, and now.

To all who have checked in, I'm doing it! For all the love you've sent along, accept mine in return,

This is how beautiful weird can be.

6 comments:

  1. ...championing with you! I am an old friend of Scott's...the network just got a lot bigger :)

    dm

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You ARE the champion, my friend!

    Hugs
    Bets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oner and I are DELIGHTED to read this!

    This will be us soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOxlVUC08Q.

    Much love,

    Polly Prissy Pants

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe you are up and posting. Wow. Unbelievably wow.

    And just so that you know that your blog not only delights but also instructs as Horace says it should, I was able to make use of your musings when faced with the "where is your pain from 1-10" in the ER Saturday night. I knew to pick a number high enough to let them know I was serious, but with room to go up once they started using the scrubby thing that was sitting on the counter.

    Liz (another old friend of Scott's)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy the surgery went well and you retained your voice box! Amazing that you had the energy and mindset to post. Good luck as you continue to recover from that intensive surgery and figure out the plan for your tongue.

    ReplyDelete