Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A Spa Day

Today, I go see my friends at the Wound Care Center, the doctor and nurses who are overseeing the post surgical chest wounds from my last surgery.

Wound Care is one of the coldest offices I visit regularly and going without a sweater is completely madness or an act of faith in one's resilience. I don't know why we insist on over-air-conditioning every office and public space in this country. It feels a lot like watching a drunkard in the old Hollywood movies go after some hooch in a bag. Are we celebrating our ability to mess up the planet's ecosystem so thoroughly or trying to make sure that nail in the coffin seals tightly? For me, for other cancer patients, it's a trial. Often enough I'm half naked in my appointments and more often than not, I'm freezing.

The competence and friendliness of the WC folk, though, is nice to encounter, and the fact that they've seen much worse than my healing no-no's is somehow comforting.

The rest of the day promises to bring a nap or two, a session of reading, nothing major...which sounds wonderful to me. I hope your Wednesday includes something nice like wound care, and something not so icebox cold that it threatens credulity.

No comments:

Post a Comment