Saturday, August 8, 2015

Hiding Behind Yonder Dollar...

At some point, I'm sure, I've bitched about the opaque nature of actual cost in the healthcare system. Too, I've probably inveighed against the idea of "controlling costs"--which Anthem BC/BS wants you to do--without knowing what they are, even a baseline number.

This came up this weekend as my doctor attempted to request a refill to my antibiotic, Zyvox.  I found Express Script's refusal to refill without hearing directly from the doctor strange until I found out that a bottle of liquid Zyvox, enough for two days on my dosing schedule, costs just shy of $1000.00. I'd question that myself. It does however explain the cryptic question the doctor asked me before hospital discharge: "Do you have good prescription coverage?"

Before I sound totally deranged, Zyvox works well for me but damn!  How do people without good prescription coverage manage this? Say I wasn't a nice middle class white boy, and say I couldn't find a job or a spouse with good coverage...what if Zyvox were really the only option and I couldn't afford a two week supply of 7 bottles @ $6500.00?  I couldn't afford it. Could you?

I have been a bit more active this week and I've resumed sitting in my favorite rocker on the back deck while Rally sniffs his way through the yard. I can't, though, shake the meditation that has started within in about the thin edge I live on, both health and dollar-wise.

I never took a job when I was a worker because of pay, and I was never the type to remain in one for years. I love change and challenge, which often go together. This quirk though never landed me in a well-paid job, and I never made a lot of geld. This was ok when I worked; my needs are small, my wants are containable, my goals are modest.  On a fixed income, though, you become automatically aware that there are untranscendable limits. My income now is still ok for where I live, but it doesn't stretch to buy weekly chemo at 7000$ or 2 days of antibiotics at 1000$.

Unlike some, my use and access of both these expensive toys is no game. It's life/death starkly outlined in Treasury green. On August 1, I attained Medicare eligibility, allowing me to move my current coverage to a secondary payer status. Considering the amount I've cost Anthem over the past 2 1/2 years, I expect a really nice bouquet to arrive on my doorstep any day. I enter Medicare during yet another tiresome political cycle where Paul Ryan bleats about his fantasy budget, where Medicare is gutted and my state instead gets a block grant that me and my fellow social leeches can attach ourselves to, suck dry, and sit back laughing at the American taxpayer.

Except it doesn't work like that. Indiana has a long, distinguished history of using or losing block grant money in ways wildly divergent from what they were intended to address. The amount I might hope to get would barely cover the yearly costs of my deductible for the 2nd policy, and Medicare has no deductible amount. I'll always be 20% of the total. A 40,000$ hospitalization is 8000$ my responsibility, at least before it hits my secondary plan.

I sit, enjoying the little curls of heat and humidity that pass by and feel good to me on a limited basis.
There's another thing I live on the edge of--a house I love, great air conditioning, excellent heating, a feeling of belonging. Rare, I think, that people without insurance, or even without drug coverage, have a place like this in their lives, a place that when I shut out all the voices of what could go wrong, feels so safe.

When Obamacare was first proposed I thought we might move quickly to a "Medicare for All", single payer model. It would allow for the insurance billionaires to continue selling secondary policies while giving those queuing up for financial assistance for antibiotics a shot at least as fair as mine at getting what they need. Not to be--there's just too much money between here and there to ignore or walk away from having.

Upon my return home from the hospital I got a text from the home care company that changes my dressings on the surgical wound (which has continued against all odds to improve). They claimed their protocols required that I submit to an interview and health assessment before any changes to my dressing could be done by them. This process required 45 mins of my attention at a time I was too sick to read a book or sit up in bed.  Didn't matter to them. Interview or naught.

After telling them which parts of my ass were most kissable, I went days without a proper change because I was too tired, too sick and now too pissed off to even look at these winged monkeys of healthcare administration.  I have, since, had to go through this tiresome process but can I admit I was hoping a secondary infection would arise from their laissez-faire attitude so that I could just die and leave Charles a bunch of money? Terrible but true....

As I move on through long stages of recovery, occasionally rocking on my porch in delightful heat, I wonder if I'll ever just be able to acknowledge that I'm privileged within this system, so far, and others certainly are not so? Will I be able to relax knowing that I get name brand chemo in a boutique setting when or people like me get infusions that come with lectures about how they abuse public funds? Can I ignore how mean my country has become in my lifetime, and wonder why I enabled that transformation?

No comments:

Post a Comment